The majority of the Florida coast is a wonderful place for both birdwatching and wildlife viewing. Birdwatching is actually a very popular activity, beloved by Floridians and tourists alike. Florida is home to an incredible population of subtropical and rare bird species, along with some more common species, all of which will delight even the most amateur birding enthusiasts among us.
There is plenty of great birdwatching near our Flager Beach Hotel, and up and down the Florida coast between the cities of St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. Our beautiful oceanfront property, with private access to the beach across the street, is the perfect place to relax and unwind. Experience this one-of-a-kind destination for yourself this year. Book a room at our Flager Beach Boutique Hotel today!
The Best Birdwatching Near Flagler Beach, Florida
The Atlantic Flyway stretches 3,000 magnificent miles from the Arctic Tundra to the Caribbean, which includes the Florida coast. This coastline is well-suited for the birds that travel along the Atlantic Flyway, and provide essential habitat and food resources. In fact, some species, like the Snail Kite, Limpkin, and White-Crowned Pigeon can be found here, but nowhere else in the country.
You really can enjoy birdwatching from just about any location along the Florida Coast. There are over 200 species known to be in the area. However, there are a few places that we recommend over others, including places listed on the Great Florida Birding Trail.
- Princess Place Preserve is one of the best places near Palm Coast to spot bald eagles between the months of January and April. There’s an active eagle’s nest in the park. The Preserve’s 1500 pristine acres also attract plenty of other birds to the area, making it a great place to relax and observe the skies.
- Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area is about a 3-minute drive from our Inn. It sits between the Atlantic Ocean and the Matanzas River and is a great place to spot shorebirds, water birds, and a great variety of nesting and songbirds. Sea turtles also nest on the beach here during the spring and summer, and there’s a large songbird migration through the area in spring and fall.
- Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (GTMNERR) offers a series of free guided monthly bird walks through their various ecosystems. More than 200 bird species have been recorded here, and it is especially well-known for viewing Peregrine Falcons in the fall during the migration.
- Haw Creek Preserve at Russell Landing is a great place to up-close views of birds. Their elevated boardwalk makes this possible, leading visitors right through the bottomland hardwood forest. The species present in the park depend on recent rainfalls but can be quite spectacular for species like woodpeckers. It’s also a great place to search for Limpkins near the blackwater Haw Creek. Paddling here will give you an entirely new birdwatching experience, too.
- The River to Sea Preserve in Palm Coast is a great place to view Wood Storks, Bald Eagles, and Osprey. Otherwise, the beautiful oaks trees found in the preserve offer excellent habitat for migratory songbirds throughout the year.
- Washington Oaks Gardens State Park is a delightful place for birdwatching throughout the year. The beach here is another great place to watch the Peregrine Falcon migration in the fall, but it’s also a great place to see wintering birds and migratory songbirds during the spring, summer, and fall.
The Best Lodging on the Florida Coast
Whether you’re spending all your time at the beach or out birdwatching along the coast, you’ll need a comfortable place to relax and unwind. For that, there’s nowhere better than our oceanfront Inn, located just 2 miles from downtown Flagler Beach.
Our boutique hotel offers 8 unique guest rooms, some fitted with jacuzzi’s and fireplaces, all featuring fine amenities, and each perfectly designed for romance. Enjoy stunning ocean views from our newly finished deck, where you can enjoy a delicious bottle of wine purchased from our wine and gift shop. From our delicious breakfasts to our exceptional hospitality, you’ll find that our boutique hotel is a truly special place. Book your stay today!